If you are convicted or adjudicated for an offense involving unlawful sexual behavior, you may be required to register as a sex offender. You will be eligible to ask the court to end your registration requirement, given that you meet one of the four following conditions.

  • Completion of Deferred Judgment – you have successfully completed the terms and conditions of a deferred judgment and have not been convicted of another crime involving unlawful sexual behavior during that time.
  • Discharge from Juvenile Sentence- you were under 18 when you committed a crime involving unlawful sexual behavior, and you have completed and been discharged from the jurisdiction of the court.
  • 5 years from release of jurisdiction – it has been five years since your final release from the jurisdiction of the court, and the offense that initially required to register was a misdemeanor other than unlawful sexual contact or third-degree assault.
  • 10 years release from jurisdiction – it has been ten years since your final release from the jurisdiction of the court, and the offense that initially required you to register was a class 4, 5, or 6 felony, or class 1 misdemeanor.
  • 20 years form jurisdiction – it has been 20 years since you have been released from court jurisdiction or Department of Human Services, and your initial offense that required you to register was a class 1,2, or 3 felony.

You are not eligible to end your registration requirement if you are a sexually violent predator, you are an adult who has been convicted more than one of unlawful sexual behavior or you were convicted as an adult of one of the following:

  • Sexual assault, sexual assault in the first or second degree
  • Sexual assault on a child
  • Sexual assault on a child by one in a position of trust
  • Sexual assault on a client by a psychotherapist
  • Incest
  • Aggravated Incest

If you are eligible to request an end to your registration requirement, you must notify all law enforcement agencies that you register with, the prosecuting attorney in each jurisdiction in which you register, and the prosecuting attorney who got the conviction and adjudicated you. You then need to file the necessary paperwork in the same court where you were first convicted versus adjudicated and attend your hearing. Going through the deregistration process can be confusing and challenging. It is imperative that you have proper legal counsel to guide you through the notification and filing process.

Sex CrimesWho Is Eligible To Be Removed From The Sex Offender Registry?